skip to main content

Information for the Public

This section of the site is for members of the public. It includes information useful to parents and caregivers, librarians, teachers, lawyers and people on-selling games and DVDs.

Do you have a question or complaint?

Members of the public can give feedback on the censorship and classification of publications or submit publications to the Classification Office. You can also give your opinions on law change.

Read more on submitting a publication or reviewing a decision, and who to contact if you disagree with censorship law.

Topics covered include:

  • How to ask a question or make a complaint
  • How to report a breach of the law
  • How to find out the classification of a publication
  • Questions or complaints about television or radio content and/or advertising

Subsection pages:

Read more about Inquiries and complaints about classification

Information for parents & caregivers

We've put together information on what film and game labels and age-restrictions mean and what trailers can be shown at cinemas. We've also found some useful sites for parents.

This page covers the following topics:

  • What the film and game labels and symbols mean
  • Can my children watch or play an age-restricted (red labelled) film or game?
  • Are there any exceptions for age-restrictions? Can I take a baby to a restricted film?
  • What trailers can be shown at children's movies
  • I am unhappy with the rating (G, PG or M) on a film. What can I do?
  • What films can be shown to children at school (or at other community groups)
  • Where to find out detailed information about the content of films
  • Who regulates music, books and magazines/comics
  • Who to contact about TV or radio or advertising complaints
  • Other useful links for parents.

Read more about Parents and whānau

Information for librarians

This page has information on:

  • What to do about restricted/banned items
  • How to manage your DVD collection
    • Getting film labels
    • Type of films exempt from labelling requirements
  • Information for school librarians
  • Signing up for our libraries newsletter
  • Getting label posters or other resources
  • LIANZA conference.

Read more about Librarians

Information for teachers

Topics for teachers include:

  • Using restricted films in classrooms
  • Showing, studying and making films at school
  • Getting an exemption to show a restricted film or read a restricted book
  • The Censor for a Day programme (NCEA level 3 Media Studies)
  • Educational resources.

Read more about Teachers

Information for lawyers

This page has information on:

  • Preparing a written submission
  • Applying to have a publication classified
  • Who can make a written submission on a publication
  • Applying for a reconsideration of a classification decision
  • Applying for a review of a classification decision.

Read more about Lawyers

Information for people on-selling games and DVDs

If you are selling second-hand games or DVDs yourself or on online sites such as TradeMe, you need to make sure they have NZ labels.

Information on this page includes:

  • How to comply with classification requirements
  • Getting a classification label
  • Breaches of the classification law on online auction sites.

Read more about Are you selling imported or second-hand games and DVDs?

Listen to the Classification Office Podcast

This page contains all the episodes of the Classification Office's podcast, talking about classification work and what we do.

Read more about Listen to the Classification Office Podcast

Introducing New Zealand age ratings and warnings to streaming platforms

The movies and shows that you watch on commercial video on-demand (streaming) services like Netflix and Lightbox will soon display New Zealand age ratings and content warnings to help you decide what to watch.

Subsection pages:

Read more about Introducing New Zealand age ratings and warnings to streaming platforms

Quick questions

Can I show a restricted film to people under the age on the label?

The answer is 'No'. However, sometimes educational or community groups want to screen a restricted film to people under the age of restriction. This is an offence unless you have an exemption from the classification.

Read more about screening restricted films

Who do I talk to about TV or radio?

In the first place contact the TV or radio station concerned. If you are not happy with their answer, contact the Broadcasting Standards Authority. The Classification Office cannot classify broadcasting.

A crowd of people