Contact us

We're always here to help if you have any questions, complaints or concerns.

General enquiries and complaints

If you have a question about classification, or you're concerned about a rating you've seen, get in touch. There are a number of different ways you can contact us:

Phone: +64 4 471 6770
Freephone: 0508 236 767
Fax: +64 4 471 6781

Physical address:
Level 1
88 The Terrace
Wellington 6011

Postal address:
PO Box 1999
Wellington 6140
New Zealand

Media enquiries

For all media enquiries, please contact us by email at

You can download our media fact sheet here.

Reporting harmful content on social platforms

If you see something on a social media platform that isn’t okay, you should report it to the platform in the first instance.

Reporting harmful content

If you are concerned that someone could be breaking the classification law, please get in touch with one of the agencies below.


Department of Internal Affairs

The Department of Internal Affairs investigates complaints, enforces compliance with labelling requirements, seizes objectionable material and monitors websites.

Report harmful content



Police have the power to seize publications and investigate illegal activity, including activities involving the sexual exploitation of children and sharing illegal content.

Contact Police



If Customs officials have concerns that a publication is a prohibited or illegal import, they can seize it at the border and decide whether to proceed with legal action.

Contact Customs

Broadcasting, press and advertising complaints

The Classification Office isn't responsible for broadcasting, press, or advertising standards. To make a complaint, contact one of the organisations below.



Complaints should be directed to the broadcaster concerned, and then to the Broadcasting Standards Authority.

Broadcasting Standards Authority


Newspapers and magazines

Newspapers and magazines can be classified, but complaints are usually dealt with by the New Zealand Media Council.

New Zealand Media Council



Some forms of advertising can be classified, but advertising is generally regulated by the Advertising Standards Authority.

Advertising Standards Authority

Classification requests

Whether you're a member of the public, an official, or an industry member you're able to submit something to be classified, ask about getting a classification changed or request an exemption.

Request or change a classification

Official Information Act requests

People in New Zealand can request official information from us and it will be made available unless there is a good reason to withhold it. You can view responses to previous requests for official information here.

Make an Official Information Act request

If you are concerned that your request for information has not been dealt with appropriately you have the right to complain to the Office of the Ombudsman.

Office of the Ombudsman
PO Box 10 152
Wellington 6143
Phone: 0800 802 602

You can find information about all public agencies, and how to request information from them, on the Ministry of Justice's Directory of Official Information.

Changes to the Classification Act

If you would like to comment on, or suggest a change to the Classification Act, you should contact your local Member of Parliament or the Minister of Internal Affairs.

The Department of Internal Affairs administers the Act and is responsible for any changes to the legislation.

Contact the Department of Internal Affairs

Support services

Cyberbullying and other harmful online behaviour:

Helplines and information for parents, children and young people:

  • 1737 | Free call or text any time
  • Youthline | 0800 376 633, free text 234

Information about movies, TV shows and other media:

Mental health support, information and help:

Help to remove sexually explicit images or videos of yourself that have been shared online: