Music recordings, printed music lyrics and music videos all fall under the definition of a publication in the Films, Videos, and Publications Classification Act 1993, and can be classified by us.

Music recordings don’t have to be classified and labelled before being sold, but music can be sent to us for classification.

Like any other publication, music recordings can be restricted or banned because of their treatment of sex, horror, crime, cruelty or violence. Recordings can also be restricted because of highly offensive language.

Most of the labels on music CDs (such as ‘content may offend’ and ‘parental guidance recommended’) are put there by music retailers or distributors.

Music videos

Physical copies of music videos that are sold, hired or loaned in New Zealand need to be classified and labelled just like other films. Most online music videos (eg YouTube) are not classified or labelled.

Request or change a classification

Submit something to be classified, ask about getting a classification changed or request an exemption.