skip to main content

How to get something classified

This page has information for members of the public on how to submit a publication to the Classification Office. Read this if you want to submit something because you feel it needs to be restricted or banned, or you think an unrestricted film needs a higher label (for example changing from G to PG).

You can apply to the Chief Censor to have a publication (like a book, film, magazine or artwork) classified. There are special reduced fees available for people who do not have a commercial or professional interest in a publication.

If you would like to apply to have an existing classification made by a New Zealand censorship authority reviewed or reconsidered, then read our Getting a classification changed page.

Image of a hand holding a pen and writing on paper

Useful links

How to submit a publication for classification

To apply for leave to submit a publication for classification:

  1. Fill out a section 13(1)(c) application form:
  2. Enclose a copy of the publication (or provide us with information on how to access the publication)
  3. Enclose the correct fee. Fees can be paid by cheque or cash. You can also pay the fee using internet banking - please see account details on the submission form, or contact us for more details. Information on fees, including the $25.50 special fee for members of the public who have no commercial or professional interest in a publication can be found on our Fees Information Sheet:
  4. Post or deliver it all to:

    The Office of Film and Literature Classification
    Postal Address: PO Box 1999, Wellington 6140
    Physical Address: Level 1, 88 The Terrace, Wellington 6011

If the Chief Censor does not grant leave for the publication to be classified, the reason for refusing leave will be explained to you and your fee refunded.