skip to main content

Selling those unwanted DVDs and games you got for Christmas

Posted on 05 January 2014 by Michelle

Perhaps a well-intentioned relative got you a game that you have no interest in playing, or your stocking was stuffed with a box set of a tv series you already have a copy of. Whatever the reason, if you're going to list your unwanted DVDs and games for re-sale on sites such as TradeMe, you need to make sure they are correctly labelled.

It is a legal requirement that DVDs or games supplied to the public, including those sold second-hand, have the correct New Zealand classification label. It is also part of TradeMe's Terms & Conditions, and they remove listings that don't comply with the law.

Throughout the year we get heaps of inquiries about the classification labelling requirements for selling these items second hand, so here's what you need to know.

Does your DVD show a New Zealand classification label?

If it does, you can legally sell it in New Zealand. If your DVD was purchased in New Zealand, then you should be fine to sell your DVD as it should have had the correct label on it when it was bought. However, if the DVD was bought from overseas, then it may not have the required label.

More about, and images of, the New Zealand classification labels

If your DVD does not show a New Zealand label, you will need to get a label for it, unless it falls under the exempt categories listed in the Films, Videos, and Publications Classification Act 1993. More information on the types of films that are exempt.

Selling a game? Only restricted games need New Zealand labels

Again, if your game was purchased in New Zealand you shouldn't have to worry about getting a label to resell it. Unrestricted games (like puzzle games, family games) don't need a New Zealand label, but restricted games do (games like those in the Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, and Grand Theft Auto series). If you're not sure if your game is restricted, you can search for it on the NZ Register of Classification Decisions.

Getting a classification label

Classification labels are supplied by the Film and Video Labelling Body

The Film and Video Labelling Body
Physical address:
Level 1, 33 Bath Street
Auckland 1052

Postal address:
PO Box 37754
Auckland 1151.

Phone: (09) 361 3882.

Michelle works in the Information Unit at the NZ Office of Film and Literature Classification. Her views do not represent those of the Chief Censor or of the Classification Office. The Information Unit provides information to other staff, to the public, and to industry members - they are not involved in assigning classifications. Keep up with our blog posts by following us on Facebook and Twitter.

Piles of old video games


To comment as a guest without having to login, click inside the comment field below. This will reveal a field labelled "Name". Click in the "Name" field to reveal the "I'd rather post as a guest" checkbox. Tick this checkbox and then fill in your name and email address. You can use a nickname if you don't want to use your real name. Happy commenting!