Information for:

Secondary navigation

Back to top

Main content

Information for parents and guardians on New Zealand's classification system

What do film and game labels and symbols mean?

Image of classification labels: R13, R16 and R18
New Zealand restricted labels:
R13, R16 and R18

Films, DVDs and (restricted) games must be labelled with NZ film labels before they can be supplied in New Zealand. The colour and symbol on the label and any content warning on it will help you decide if a film or game is suitable for your family.

Film labels are colour coded, much the same as traffic lights:

All labels have a rating or classification symbol and usually a descriptive note briefly explaining the nature of content in the film/game that may be of concern to viewers, for example, whether the film contains violence or sex.

You will find the labels or symbols displayed:

Unrestricted labels

These are usually applied by the Film and Video Labelling Body. Anyone of any age can be supplied an unrestricted film, although some unrestricted films are made to appeal to older or adult audiences. There are 3 levels of unrestricted ratings:

New Zealand's unrestricted classification labels What the unrestricted labels mean
Image of G classification label G -  Anyone can be shown or sold this. However, always consider whether the film is made for a family audience.
Image of PG classification label PG - Anyone can be shown or sold this, but younger children may need some parental support when watching the film. Read the label for any content warnings and consider whether the film is made for a family audience.
Image of M classification label M - Anyone can be shown or sold this but it is more suitable for mature viewers. Read the label for any content warnings and consider whether the film is made for a family audience. Read an article on what the M label means.

Restricted labels

If you see a red label on a film or a game, it shows there is a legal restriction in place which limits who can be supplied with a game or a film. Red labels will often have a content warning which will list things in the film/game which some people may find disturbing.

Any restricted film or game will have been classified by the Office of Film and Literature Classification. The Office can classify according to age or purpose, or restrict a film's availability to a particular audience. The following restrictions are common:

New Zealand's restricted classification labels What the restricted label means
Image of R13 classification label
Image of R15 classification label
Image of R16 classification label
Image of R18 classification label
R(age): If something has one of these labels it can only be supplied to people of and over the age shown on the label. A parent, shop or cinema is breaking the law if they supply an age-restricted item to someone who is not legally allowed to access it. You will see these labels on films, games, DVDs and a few music recordings, magazines and books.
Image of RP13 classification label
Image of RP16 classification label
RP(age): The RP label means that the film or DVD can only be watched by someone under the age on the label if they are with a parent or guardian (an adult over 18). You will see these labels on films and DVDs. A parent, shop or cinema is breaking the law if they allow unaccompanied children to access these films.
Image of R classification label R means that there is a special restriction. Refer to the words on the right of the label for the full conditions.

Back to top

Image of the words 'red means restricted'

Can my children watch or play a restricted (red labelled) film or game?

Image of boy in DVD store

Think of the red label as a warning flag. It means there is a legal restriction in place. If your child is under the age shown on the label (for example R13, R16) the law says they cannot be supplied that item. If the label is RP(age), then you can expect that there will be material in a film that your child may need support with, and the label means you should be watching the film with them.

Restrictions are placed on a film or game because there are levels of sex, horror, crime, cruelty, violence, self-harm or offensive language that children should not be exposed to. You can read the description on the label to find out more about the likely content of the film.

The restrictions on films and games apply in the home as well as school, sports clubs, shops and cinemas. A parent cannot give a child permission to watch or be shown a restricted film, or to buy or play a game, or watch a game being played, if the child is younger than the age on the label.

Many retail outlets and cinemas now ask for ID before young people can watch or buy age-restricted films and games. Many places will not accept a parent vouching for their child's age — they still require ID. Retailers should not sell an adult a restricted item, if they believe that adult will then give it to someone under the age shown on the label.

Watch our cinema ad explaining that 'Red Means Restricted'

Embedded YouTube video:

Produced by the Classification Office and Scott Thompson Media. Voice-over credit: Jean Sergent

Back to top

Are there any exceptions for age-restrictions? Can I take a baby to a restricted film?

No, a baby cannot be taken into an age-restricted film. The restriction applies no matter how young (or awake) the baby is.

Back to top

What trailers can be shown at kids' movies?

Cinemas have an agreement with the Film and Video Labelling Body (the organisation responsible for issuing unrestricted ratings) and the Motion Picture Distributors’ Association to follow good practice guidelines for the screening of trailers with unrestricted feature films.

The guidelines say that cinema operators should try to make sure that each trailer matches the likely audience for the feature film. Cinema operators should consider the age of the likely audience, the impact on that audience, and the time of the screening. The guidelines also specifically state that trailers for restricted films should not be shown before a G or PG rated film.

If you have questions about a trailer screened before a children’s film, please contact our Information Unit.

I am unhappy with the rating (G, PG or M) on a film. What can I do?

Image of New Zealand G, PG and M labels
New Zealand Labels: G, PG and M

Members of the public can seek the leave of the Chief Censor to submit a film, which has been rated by the Film and Video Labelling Body (most G, PG and M films) to the Classification Office. You can read about how to submit a publication here or contact our Information Unit.

Image of teacher in classroom

What films can be shown to children at school (or at other community groups)?

Schools and other groups are not exempted from the classification system. It is an offence to show a restricted film to anyone underage - with or without parents’ permission. It is possible for someone to apply for an exemption from the classification, so they can screen a restricted film to a younger audience, but this must be done in advance of the screening.

If you are concerned about an unrestricted film your child has seen at school or at another venue, you should talk to the organisation that screened it. If you believe an underage person has been shown a restricted film please contact the Censorship Compliance Unit at the Department of Internal Affairs.Link to the contact information for the Censorship Compliance Unit on the DIA website (opens in a new window)

Back to top

Where can I find out detailed information about the content of films?

The Internet Movie Database Link to the Internet Movie Database website (opens in a new window) has plot summaries and detailed content information on films and videos.

If you can’t find information on a film contact our Information Unit.

Back to top

Image of stack of magazines

Who regulates music, books and magazines/comics?

The Classification Office can classify books, graphic novels, magazines and music. If you see a red restricted label that looks the same as a film label on an item, it means it has been legally restricted to people above the age on the label.

Some distributors put their own R18 labels on items or warning labels on items. In some cases (such as adult magazines) the item would be restricted if it was seen by the Classification Office. In other cases (such as 'explicit lyrics' warnings on music) the distributor is just giving a general warning about content.

If you see a publication which you think should be restricted, or want to find out whether something has been seen by the Classification Office contact our Information Unit.

Back to top

Image of man watching television

Who do I contact about TV or radio or advertising complaints?

The Office of Film and Literature Classification does not regulate broadcasting. The first place to contact is the TV or radio station that showed or played the item concerned. If you are not happy with their answer, contact the Broadcasting Standards Authority Link to the BSA website (opens in a new window). For information or complaints about advertising you should contact the Advertising Standards Authority Link to the Advertising Standards Authority website (opens in a new window).

Back to top

Other useful links for parents



Media Issues

Internet Safety

Back to top

Back to top